Random Thoughts on Super Tuesday and the Potential Fall-out
You will find that I am an equal opportunity critic with respect to political parties and candidates.
General comments regarding the main political parties:
- Neither party seems to be recognizing one basic fact. We the People are sick and tired of “business as usual” as practiced by Democrats and Republicans alike (I know, their “goals” are completely different because they seem to see diametrically opposite outcomes as “good for the USA”).
- Democrats don’t recognize that many of their constituents are saying that an out-and-out Socialist is preferable to the Queen of Liars.
- Republicans don’t recognize that virtually all (60+%)of their constituents will no longer tolerate politicians who do not keep their word post election.
- Both parties seem willing to accept that, once the swearing-in ceremony is completed, the oath sworn by all (to support and defend the Constitution of the United States) is no longer relevant. Their sworn duty, a collective and individual responsibility, is to ensure they, the Executive and the Judicial Branches do not commit acts contrary to the US Constitution, regardless of circumstances. For example, it is unconstitutional for the SCOTUS to change words in a law under review to make it “OK”. Their role is to assess the merits of the law AS WRITTEN. Should a Justice make changes to the wording of a law before rendering a decision he or she should be impeached and dismissed from the court. Similarly, a pattern of unconstitutional acts by the Executive should incur impeachment by the House, without regard to whether or not “enough votes exist in the Senate to uphold the impeachment”. The latter is almost a direct quote to me from a sitting congressman, when asked why impeachment was not initiated for a clearly unconstitutional act. Disgraceful, IMHO.
- A different sitting congressman told me directly that no elected official at the national level has to pass a background check prior to being afforded access to classified documents. However, they do receive an individual briefing appropriate to the documents to which they are being given access on the national security need for and mandatory methods used to safeguard the material. I can personally attest to the thorough nature of such briefings and the fact one must sign a statement to the effect that you have received, understand, and will comply with all applicable security requirements.
Examples of where the party leaders simply don’t comprehend what is happening.
- Republican voters are telling the “Establishment” they are tired of politicians who think they know best what is good for We the People. With their primary election votes, Republicans are saying, “Those who do not keep their word to the electorate will be forced to leave. “ Both leading candidates for President are people who do not kowtow to pressure from the “good ole’ boy” network. Trump is not dependent on party support to garner money or votes and Cruz kept his promise to the voters who sent him to the Senate. It is really simple, folks. We the People in the Republican Party are speaking and “The Establishment” better listen-up or they will go the way of the dinosaur – sinking into the mire of their own making.
- Democrats have a different problem. Their major candidate expects her total disregard of US laws (and lies about it) when they were personally inconvenient to be excused. This has so affected some voters that they are willing to support a governmental concept that includes a 95% personal income tax. Perhaps even more dangerous is the fact that no Democrat candidate exhibits any concern for the immense (and growing) national debt, including the existing governmental spending deficit and the huge number of unfunded liabilities. One candidate, indeed, forwards a program that may well increase both numbers at a faster rate than we have ever experienced. Further, many Democrats seem unwilling or unable to recognize the danger inherent in people who profess Islam. They also don’t seem to recognize that many Democrats are expressing their opinion by voting with their feet by supporting the anti-establishment candidates in the other party.
Thoughts on Personal and National Security:
- We have a major political party’s leading candidate for President of the United States – Commander-in-Chief of all the Armed Forces, privy to ALL the Nation’s secrets that has committed (allegedly – but certainly by all counts) major felonies (e.g., failure to protect the Nation’s most secret information). What’s wrong with that picture?
- A major US Corporation refuses to comply with a court order to extract potentially vital information from a terrorist’s cell phone. Their objection is that it might cause an adverse financial impact to their future marketing efforts not because it would make information vulnerable to outside attack (it would not). Is it possible we have a Rotten “Apple” in the barrel?
- We have young people who, apparently, have no concept of the political ideology (Socialism) being touted or the fact that this ideology has totally failed wherever and whenever implemented. They are gleefully, enthusiastically supporting a clearly avowed Socialist. They don’t seem to realize two things – The government has no money other than what it takes by force from people that have earned it (that could be them). When that source is depleted there will be nothing left to distribute; but, in the interim government will also have removed every semblance of liberty from all the people.
- Many people seem unwilling to acknowledge there exists an entity who, since the eighth century (700 AD), has been consistently embarked on a quest to ensure their form of government and its associated imposed legal system (Sharia) shall become dominant. To achieve that end any subterfuge is allowed. And, should simple persuasion not work, any who stand against that world domination shall be physically subjugated or killed. There are no other options. There is a whole segment of our population that doesn’t know, understand, or care, even when violence appears in their community. Further, they do not comprehend a simple fact (and this includes Obama, Hillary, and Kerry’s “deal” with the Iranians as well as Mr. Trump’s concept of doing a deal with the Palestinians) that there is no room to negotiate a deal with a party whose sole aim is your enslavement or your death.
- We have a segment of the population that insists on blaming an inanimate object for a human activity and using this as a political gambit. Of course, I am talking about guns. Up front, we can surely agree that no gun has ever, of and by itself, taken on and completed the task of wounding or killing a human being. For that matter, people who abide by the law and have common decency do not arbitrarily kill people. Criminals and crazy people kill people – yet, the politicians and others seem to believe that by constraining the law abiding they will constrain those who already intend to break society’s laws and rules of good behavior. Logical? Insane? Of course, but it is politically correct thinking. They ignore the simple truth that fences and laws constrain only the law abiding. By definition, criminals are not part of that group.
Political Correctness used as a weapon
- Being politically correct mandates you condemn the KKK, but applaud the Black Lives Matter crowd. Does anyone else think it is a bit hypocritical to condemn the KKK without applying the same condemnation rules to the flip side BLM (Black Lives Matter)? I believe both are despicable organizations that advocate applying the litmus test of skin color of the perpetrator to judge every single word and act of others. Of course the politically correct are the sole arbitrator of the value or acceptability of words and deeds. Note that violence or inciting violence or other illegal acts is acceptable to both, depending on who chooses the victim.
- Has it occurred to you that controlling speech (imposing politically correct speech) is the first step to controlling thoughts (If you can’t speak it, you will eventually decide not to think about it either). For those that don’t know, it is a time proven psychological warfare technique taught in every insurgency and counter-insurgency school in the world and espoused as one of the principles for implementing Socialism/Communism/Revolution in a Republic/Democracy (see Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals).
The “Living” Constitution
- The assertion that the US Constitution is no longer applicable, as written, is another myth constructed by lawyers and politically correct politicians to encourage the concept that only they are astute enough to discern the ultimate meaning of the Constitution and interpret it to accommodate today’s environment. The thesis is not valid, yet it is loudly proclaimed by many in and out of government. One has to wonder why. The answer is pretty simple. These people need to modify the US Constitution (or destroy it) because it prevents them from achieving the socialistic society that puts them in the cat-bird seat. Of course, to do this, the common meaning of the English language must be changed to agree with what they believe the Constitution should say (to fit into the modern world). The changes they assert are astonishing. For example: they claim that simple prohibiting statements like “Congress shall make no law…” or “Shall not be infringed… ” from the 1st and 2nd Amendments don’t really mean what they say. Instead those words can be construed to mean that Congress (and, by extension, the President through Executive Order) can not only make laws that infringe on God given rights, but can even arbitrarily change existing laws to suit their personal whim and/or agenda.
These are but a few of the impressions I have taken from Tuesday’s primary elections and the follow-on commentary from the various pundits. My hope is that what we are seeing is a re-awakening of We the People. Perhaps our decades of apathy are ending and we are truly entering a period where citizens retake control of the government and the era of professional politicians is ending. If Trump captures a winning total of delegates and the Republican Party ignores the will of the people and imposes their own choice (seems like Mitt’s head is popping up lately – although his time in the sun has passed) several things will happen. A Democrat (probably not Hillary or Bernie) will be in the White House, the existing Republican Party will be finished, and there is a good possibility the US, as we know it, will expire. I hope that doesn’t happen.
Robert D. Jones, LTC, USAF (Ret)